A moderately strenuous hike beginning through The Haunted Forest and then followed by multiple switchbacks up a steep incline that leads to the remaining ruins of the White City Resort.
- Consider taking the 134 East and this will merge into 210 West. The exit you'll want to look for is North Lake Avenue and from the off ramp you want to take a left heading north. Take North Lake Avenue all the way towards the entrance gate to Cobb Estate (this is where you'll enter through to get to the trailhead). The street will turn into East Alta Loma Drive, but you'll want to park along the street before turning onto East Alta Loma Drive. There's no pass needed for street parking in this area.
- Begin your hike at the entrance of Cobb Estate, where you'll pass through the gate following the Sam Merrill trail. The first portion of the trail is paved and will lead to an intersection.
- For this hike, continue forward at the fork instead of turning left. You'll see a sign with the header noted as "Sam Merrill Trail" and beneath it arrows directing to Castle Canyon Trail and Echo Mountain. Fortunately, this is the the trail you'll follow for the rest of the hike with a series switchbacks.
- When you have reached the split for the Mount Lowe Railway Trail, continue down the path to your right / straight ahead. As you follow this trail, you'll come up to the ruins of the White City Resort with placards surrounding the area for any historical reading you may want to enjoy.
- Elevation at the summit: 3,205 ft