A mild hike through two scenic canyons in the Sierra Pelona Mountains leading to the Fish Canyon Narrows, which offers beautiful rock formations resembling those of Zion National Park.
- If you're heading to the hike from Los Angeles, there's a small coffee shop on your way heading North on the 5 in Castaic (a few minutes past Six Flags Magic Mountain). It's a minor distance from the freeway so it's nothing too difficult to grab a coffee before your hike.
- Heading to the hike from Los Angeles, you'll want to take the 101 North or the 405 North until you intersect with the 5 North. Keep left at the split of the 5 North and the 14. You'll continue on the 5 North, passing Six Flags Magic Mountain. As you enter the Angeles National Forest, keep a look out for Templin Highway. Take the exit and turn right on Templin Highway passing through the stop sign at Old Ridge Route. 3 miles down the road will be the intersection of Templin Highway and Los Angeles City Water & Power Road. The road gate to the trailhead was closed during our hike so we ended up parking on the shoulder at the road gate and continued down Templin Highway on foot to the trailhead of Fish Canyon.
- NOTE: If the mileage of this hike worries you, keep in mind you do have the ability to turnaround at any point. It's a fairly level path the entire way with a slight incline and it's nothing too crazy. Also, it's strongly encouraged to bring bug spray along for this hike.
- Begin your hike at the road gate at the intersection of Templin Highway and Los Angeles City Water & Power Road. You'll mike a minor decent towards a bridge to cross over a dry riverbed and the unmarked trail will be 0.8 miles from the road gate.
- Veer left onto the dirt road and continue down this path for 2 miles until you reach the dilapidated Cienaga Campground. These 2 miles prove to be pretty incredible as you're walking along an abandon road where nature has completely taken over with a minor creek breaking through the pavement. The sights are pretty similar to anything you'd see in a post-apocalyptic film, which definitely adds to the excitement of this hike.
- When you come up to Cienaga Campground, there will be a split in the trail.
- Take a right down the dirt path after the campground and the narrows will be 3 miles ahead.
- As you enter the narrows, keep in mind you don't need to hike all the way through if you're not too keen on a 12 mile hike. The views are pretty incredible in the first mile or two while in the narrows so don't feel pressure to go the whole way if you're up for it.