A remarkable hike offering lush stretches of foliage along a creek including expansive views at the summit overlooking the Angeles National Forest.
- There is a large selection of coffee shops in La Cañada Flintridge (the city before entering the Angeles National Forest via Angeles Crest Highway) off Foothill Boulevard. While taking the off ramp to the Angeles Crest Highway, instead of taking the left to the mountains you can go right and Foothill Boulevard is the next light down. Depending on what you're looking for, here are a few I enjoy before my adventures:
- Consider taking the 134 East to the CA 2 North in order to avoid any and all congestion that occurs downtown. Once you're on the CA 2 North, you'll merge onto 210 East / CA 2 and take the first exit directing towards the Angeles Crest Highway. After passing the Angeles Forest entrance, you'll continue up towards Switzer Falls. As you pass the turnoff for Switzer Falls, the trailhead for Colby Canyon Trail and parking lot will be 0.4 miles down the road on the left.
- NOTE: You need a Southern California "Adventure Pass" to park during this hike. However, be sure to check the Angeles Designated Recreation Sites list in case the parking requirements change at a later date.
- Begin your hike at the Colby Canyon Trailhead. If your back is to the road, the trail starts on the left side of the turnout near the large boulders. As you enter, you're greeted with lush foliage along with a small creek that you'll cross as you continue your hike forward.
- A series of small switchbacks will occur as the trail ascends up the mountain until you reach Strawberry Saddle. Here, you'll take the path leading northwest, which will meet with another intersection shortly after for Josephine Peak Road. (approximately 0.5 miles)
- Take a right once you hit the fire road and you'll stay on this until you reach the peak. When you make it to the summit, relax and take in the view of Strawberry Peak and the surrounding Angeles National Forest.
- Elevation at the summit: 5,548 ft