An exquisite hike along a charming portion of the world famous Pacific Crest Trail that offers vast desert views while gradually ascending to an invigorating 7,106 feet above sea level.
- There is a large selection of coffee shops in La Cañada Flintridge (the city before entering the Angeles National Forest via Angeles Crest Highway) off Foothill Boulevard. While taking the off ramp to the Angeles Crest Highway, instead of taking the left to the mountains you can go right and Foothill Boulevard is the next light down. Depending on what you're looking for, here are a few I enjoy before my adventures:
- Consider taking the 134 East to the CA 2 North in order to avoid any and all congestion that occurs downtown. Once you're on the CA 2 North, you'll merge onto 210 East / CA 2 and take the first exit directing towards the Angeles Crest Highway. After passing the Angeles Forest entrance, you'll continue up until you come to the intersection of the Angeles Forest Highway and Angeles Crest Highway at the Clear Creek Information Center. Take a left heading towards Palmdale passing Big Tujunga Canyon Road and Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road. After passing Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road, Mill Creek Summit (the trailhead / intersection with Mount Gleason Road) will be approximately 6 miles up the road. Park your car at Mill Creek Summit Picnic Site on the south side of the road.
- NOTE: You need a Southern California "Adventure Pass" to park during this hike.
- Begin your hike at Mill Creek Summit Picnic Site and the trailhead will be on the south end of the parking lot and across Pacifico Mountain Road.
- As you set foot on the Pacifc Crest Trail, you'll gradually ascend upward for the next 5.4 miles until you reach the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail PC 2000 sign directing towards Sulphur Springs Campground. At this point, you'll head off the Pacific Crest Trail leading south to a fire service road.
- When you make your way up the service road, the summit and Upper Pacifico Campground will be approximately 1 mile ahead.
- Elevation at the summit: 7,106 feet