A short, yet awe-inspiring hike through a lush forest in the San Gabriel Mountains leading to a towering waterfall cascading from a 50-foot cliff.
- Once you exit the freeway, take a right on South Santa Anita Drive passing REI until you reach the next intersection of West Huntington Drive. Take a right on Huntington Drive and the coffee shop will be immediately on your righthand side.
- Consider taking the 134 East and this will merge into 210 West. The exit you'll want to look for is Santa Anita Avenue and you'll take a left at the stop light after getting off the 210 West. Continue driving north on Santa Anita Drive and the road will turn into Chantry Flat Road 1.6 miles up. The road becomes quite curvy as you ascend the canyon road. The trailhead for Sturtevant Falls will be 3.2 miles up. If you already have a parking pass, try to park as soon as you see the line of cars along the side of the road. The trail becomes extremely busy on weekends so if you start your hike early you should luck out with some decent parking close to the trailhead.
- NOTE: You need a Southern California "Adventure Pass" to park in the lot or along the canyon road. If you do not have one, you'll need to continue driving up Chantry Flat Road until you reach the trailhead. You'll be able to purchase a parking pass for $5 from the pack station. If you're planning to hike in the Angeles Forest quite a bit, consider purchasing the annual pass for $30. Either works depending on the amount of activity you plan to do within the year. However, be sure to check the Angeles Designated Recreation Sites list in case the parking requirements change at a later date.
- Start your hike at the Chantry Flats trailhead leading down the canyon and towards Roberts Camp. Keep in mind, this 0.6 mile incline is pretty intense when you return after reaching the waterfall.
- You'll slowly work your way into a heavily dense forest with ivy covered cabins surrounding the trail and will eventually reach a bridge at Roberts Camp. At the split with Winter Creek Trail, keep right heading down Gabrieleno Trail.
- Cross the bridge and follow the signs guiding you towards Sturtevant Falls.
- This portion to the waterfall is quite painless and you'll carry on this path for around 1.25 miles until you make it to the calming waterfall.
- Another split will occur just past East Fork Santa Anita Canyon with Upper Gabrieleno Trail. You'll want to stay heading straight/veering right on Lower Gabrieleno Trail to reach the waterfall.
- After visiting the Sturtevant Falls, turn back and follow the same path in order to return to Chantry Flats.